Sunday, June 10, 2012

Field Trip Friday

So, on Friday (and Thursday), none of the other students came to class except for the other girl in my class from my school, Claudia and me. The Iowa and Pennsylvania kids are all in school a week longer than us, so they all went on an extended weekend trip from Wednesday-Monday. I'm not gonna like, intimate time with both my professors and just one other student was pretty fun... (not). 

But instead of having a treacherously long and lonely class on Friday as well, they decided to meet us at our houses and we walked to some museums/historical houses!

So after my professor and Claudia met me at my house, we went to Casa de José Zorilla

The gardens outside his house


His kitchen

Everything was so little! We felt like giants walking through the house

The bed where José Zorilla was born

He died while he was writing at his desk (which he brought with him wherever he went strangely enough, I guess he wouldn't write without it), and within the same day of his death, they made a mold of his face in order to preserve his memory

Orignal hand painted wall paper





Next, we went to Casa de Cervantes. Although this IS the location of where his house used to be, it's not completely in it's original condition

This "library" used to be a bar below Cervantes' house


Coolest backyard patio ever

Some things preserved from the area where Cervantes lived

What his kitchen "probably looked like"



"Cervantes lived here"

Claudia and me with my crazy Literature professor...she's hilarious

An old courtyard in the middle of a shopping mall where we got coffee before meeting my other professor for our next "class"/ field trip

Beautiful walkway


With my culture professor, we went to the Valladolid museum. It had OLD things from Valladolid (and when I say old, I mean like 5000 BC old), which was pretty cool. I love going to museums with someone who knows what they're talking about. I love to learn about everything, but it's even better to learn when you have the history sitting live in front of you :)

This is a thing (sorry, actual word was lost in translation) in which they used to store the fingers, toes, ears or other tiny body parts and pieces of body parts of the saints. My professor had us guessing what it was for at least 5 minutes before he told us. Haha, definitely not anti-climactic.


The museum was in an old palace that they turned into a museum fairly recently. All the palaces I have visited have almost the exact same layout, but they're all so different! This one's been made to look newer, but I figured I would still take a picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? :)