Friday, February 10, 2012

Cal State San Marcos Nursing School

Okay, so I know this seems very obsessive of me, but I can't help it. I'm just sitting at home, having a realizing Friday evening alone, and I can't help but think about my points on my nursing applications. At this point, I would be more than thrilled to get into any nursing school, near or far, but realistically, my chances to get into a BSN program are no better anywhere else rather than here (schools really like to pick based on residency because of the competition).

Last year I found out I only had a total of 47 points in my 2011 application. This year, I have so many more opportunities to raise my points than I thought! I can get 2 more points if get about 90 more hours of volunteer service, 3 more for taking this math class (in replace of my last math class I got a B- in), 1 more if I get .7% higher on my TEAS test. Last year I only had 54 units completed and after this semester, I'll have 83 units done (possibly more). Because the nursing school only looks at your GPA for your latest 60 units, my total GPA points will raise 2-3 points, due to cutting of my first semester of college (my worst one :/ )! So I have a potential of having 52-57 points! Last year the minimum allowed in was 51, so it IS possible for me to get in! :)




These are all the numbers I've looked at so many times over the years to see where I'm at on getting accepted. So many possibilites, options, and outcomes to look at. I only have 7 Bs and the rest of the 20 classes are all As. It's crazy how incredibly competitive this major has gotten. I know my grades aren't perfect, but I've worked pretty hard and think I've done well enough to be in a program without worries!

Hopefully after this semester, I will be in one! Although it is frustrating not being in a program, I'm glad I've learned to work hard for what I want, and that I CAN handle all this work. It helped me see that I know I want to do this with my life. At least I'm not in a situation like many of my friends in the nursing program who are dropping out and switching to completely different majors because they feel like they will never succeed. I couldn't even imagine starting all over at this point...

We'll see what happens for me in Round 2 in 4-5 more months! :) My fingers are crossed and I've got my A-game ready! (Literally.)

1 comment:

  1. wow thats interesting how that works!! thanks for sharing :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? :)