Thursday, February 9, 2012

East Village Asian Diner

Last night, I went to my birthday dinner with my Dad, Melissa, and Nicky to this cool little Asian food place in downtown Encinitas. I actually almost didn't end up making it to the dinner...and I found out I was never really invited! Apparently, my brother told my mom that he would not make it to dinner at her house because he had a birthday dinner with my dad and me. Luckily, my mom mentioned the dinner to me by telling me to have fun at my birthday dinner, because before that, I had no idea it even existed! I guess my dad had sent me a couple text messages about it and I never received the text about dinner but received another one after that I had replied "okay" to. Luckily, after investigating whether my brother was pulling a fast one on my mom or not, I made it just in time to my dad's house :)

But anyway, I thought the restaurant was really cool in a simple, quirky, clean kind of way. The food there was also delicious. (And they were playing Ponyo on the TVs there...my favorite!) The appetizers were good and my brother and I both got these dishes in "Monk Pots" which seemed similar to the fajita plate idea where the pan is scorching hot.

 I have a weird fancy for the red plastic chopsticks...

Our delicious appetizer...they're called Mung Pancakes. Way tastier than they look here. 


This is the Monk Pot. The bowl was sizzling the food when it came out, and the combination of all the toppings and sauces was DELICIOUS!! 

The * at the bottom says: maybe. Haha, I just thought this was funny.

 Yummy specials every day!!


Afterwards, we went back to my dad's house where they got me a chocolate ganache covered mousse cake and a fancy little swiveling suitcase for all my travels!

2 comments:

  1. that looks yummy! but your appetizer looked a little funny? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lanta, it was SO good!!!! Haha all the appetizers sounded weird but this one was very good! It's like a ground bean called mung...it kinda had a potato/garbanzo bean taste...the sauce made it extra delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? :)