Sunday, April 7, 2013

Budokon Yoga

Today, Lindsey and I finally got our chance to do a Budokan yoga workshop! I've been waiting a long time for this day! Because of my tight nursing student budget, I'm limited to only the yoga classes offered at 24 Hour Fitness. A couple weeks ago, one of my favorite instructors at all of the gyms, gave a sample seminar of this Budokon yoga, and I loved it! It was a high energy and constant fluid movement class that was a surprisingly intense workout. And it made my body feel extra good (and tired) afterwards. So, I saved up the $20 to sign up for her Budokon yoga workshop to give the full flow and 2 hour class a try!

Budokon yoga is a fairly new style of yoga which combines yoga and martial arts. It mixes the postural tissue strengthening of yoga and the athletic push of martial arts. I thought it was similar to Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu with yoga mix. It suppose to be great for joint strengthening by increasing synovial fluid and stretching and utilizing deep tissue fasciae.



Anyway, I obviously loved it. She will be starting a weekly class soon, so it looks like I might have to start saving up money for a REAL yoga studio! She also mentioned that Budokon training is pretty affordable (for yoga teaching anyway) and is only $495 in Miami Beach, Florida. Obviously I wouldn't be able to do any of that soon, but it's something to look forward to one day!

Here are some of the crazy things we did (or that I attempted) in class today:





Take a look at some of the videos on their Facebook by clicking here: Budokon San Diego

2 comments:

  1. so I was gonna say, "I wanna try it!" then I saw those poses and I was like "that ain't gonna happen.." I can't believe I get to see you so soon. & we are going to Idaho! hahaha! This will be an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking you to a class over summer! Don't be intimidated by the pictures...the only one I successfully did right is the one of the guy in a...Speedo? The instructor does a GREAT job at walking you through everything and modifying everything. You could totally do it!! And I'm taking you no matter what soooo... ;)

      And what?! Haha I'm going to Idaho??? I need to message your parents and officially ask them if I can tag along for the ride up there!

      Delete

What do you think? :)