Friday, April 5, 2013

Casa de las Campanas

Last Wednesday, I had my first job interview in 5 years at a luxury retirement living community in Rancho Bernardo. My friend from my nursing program used to work there, and put a good word in for me and any other nursing students who were interested in the job. After I thought about it, I realized I really only had ONE formal and personal one-on-one interview before, and that is when I was 16 working retail! Everything else was a group interview or joke interviews created by the moms I used to nanny for. I didn't know what to expect or really what to say, but I just went for it! After these past 2 semesters in nursing school, I've learned I can talk about myself all day if I needed to! Especially in relation to my "nursing" skills.

My pre-interview, "wish me luck" face :/

The interview was surprisingly quick. It was my potential future manager and an RN I would be working with and they just asked me about my experience in nursing school and how to handle certain scenarios. I have tests almost weekly on things like this so that was cake for me! But because the interview was only 10 minutes or less, I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. She said she had a couple more interview and will let me know soon!

WELL!! Yesterday, a week later, I got a call saying that I was hired as their new Per Diem CNA!

YAY!!

I'm excited! This is going to be a great job for me! Because I will be working per diem, I will not have a strictly set schedule. She will send out a monthly calendar and I get to pick which days and shifts I want to work, as long as I work at least 2 days per month...PERFECT flexibility with school! I meet with HR tomorrow to go over some paperwork and start the process of background checking and getting exams done, and as soon as I finish that, I start my orientation in each of my 3 areas: independent living, dementia unit, and assisted living. Hopefully I'll have all of that done before the end of April so I can pick my shifts for May!

I'm planning a camping trip to the Yosemite area during my 2 weeks before I start summer semester! I gotta get dibs on the good shifts so I can make a little summer money before then! 
:D

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that you even had time to work! But two days a month is nothing! So that makes sense. How much do you think you'll work then? Make time for me in the summaaaa! Though I plan on working a little bit.. With Jeremy & babysit hopefully. I need some extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I definitely DO NOT have time to work right now. BUT, I only have 5 weeks of school left. This week I'm meeting with HR to start working on paperwork, and I'll have to get a bunch of tests done and a physical. Then I have to do a minimum of 3 days of orientation until I tell them I'm comfortable. So I'll probably only get like 1 or 2 real shifts in until the end of the semester. But don't worry, I plan to spend plenty of time with you!!! Haha we should coordinate our schedules and work on the same days ;) Speaking of you babysitting, I"ll start telling people you wanna babysit over summer! If you send me a flyer I can make you as famous as you wanna be! Haha...

      Delete

What do you think? :)