Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mi familia española

Today, after I found my professor, he took us the the bus and we were waiting for one girl named Daisy because her plane just landed at 5:15 (and we were to leave at 6 on the bus). Well, we ended up waiting 1.5 hours for her while my crazy professor ran around ALL the terminals in this giant airport looking for her. Besides the fact that I was starving, it wasn't too bad because I finally got to meet some people. I only know the two guys from my Spanish classes the last semester and they're friends with a couple people so now I have connections ;) I think I'm one of the highest level non-native Spanish speaker. I talked to this girl, Jenna, sitting next to me on the bus and she said she's only ever had ONE semester of Spanish. When my professor made the announcement that we're ONLY allowed to speak Spanish, she panicked, haha. Makes me feel a little better about my poor quality Spanish :)

My family is really great. I'm prettyyyy sure I got the best one :) It's a stay at home mom named Felisa, her husband who is a lawyer named Fernando, her 15 year old daughter, Miriam and her 13 year old daughter Hernar. They're very sweet and normal but fun! The dad is all excited to teach me Spanish and is making sure I get plenty of practice. My favorite part is that they are talking very clearly for me and annunciating everything and having patience when is stumble over words. The daughters are learning English in school too. The older one went on a study abroad to Florida last summer, and this summer she is going to San Francisco for another one! Tomorrow we have a late start day at the school at 10:30. We'll have some sort of orientation and a tour around the city...my Spanish mom is going to walk me to school, haha :) They're house is the perfect location...it's right in the center of the town and all the shops. Most of the homes here are kind of like condo/apartments in tallish buildings like you would find downtown San Diego. I haven't had much of a chance to look around an explore, but I have a few pictures I will post as soon as I get the right WiFi password for my computer (I typed it right on mynipad, but wrong on my computer which is what I'd prefer to use! Formatting on this iPad is so hard, and putting pictures up is even harder. I'll fix it all tomorrow though!! Time for my first night in Valladolid, in a bed, YAYYY! Buenas noches :)

Pictures of the home:

My little foreign student room :)


They gave me a huge closet!

The hallway that goes through the center of the house and connects all the rooms together

Baño

Hernar's room

Miriam's room

The kitchen

4 comments:

  1. awh your family sounds lovely!..and rich hahaha. That's great they are all so nice to you. Sounds like you are gonna have fun! oxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well the dad is a layer. And this area of Spain is pretty nice. Everything is really old (of course, it's SPAIN), with exceptions of new tapas bars and stores, but in really good condition. I got the best family! :) And I'm so happy I speak decent Spanish! So many students are like "yeahhh I know like 20 words..." And their families don't speak a lick of English! Mine are really patient anyway and are good at explaining what things are/mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Katie. I am glad you are comfortable with your family - that is a great bonus that they are so helpful and understanding. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I scored! The house is in the centro and a lost a straight walk to Plaza Mayor (which is where we meet up all the time). Perfect! Tomorrow I have my first day at school and she said its like 25-30 minute walk or 10 minute bus to the language college. Close!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? :)