Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Shopping & Campo Grande

So, today, I successfully made it to school (all by myself) on bus numero 8! Yay! It's only my second day of classes and I'm already tired of school. Maybe because I JUST finished the hardest/longest semester ever?! :/ ....Classes really aren't that bad, but I'd still rather be traveling through Spain that sitting in class 5 hours a day and wasting time traveling on a bus to and from school. This is my view for 5 hours (somehow, me and Claudia, the only two people from California in our class. sit in the very center of our classes surrounding by the rest of the University of Iowa kids. It's like the mush pot...)


After class, I took the bus home with some people and got of at the wrong stop (4 stops early) because I wasn't paying attention. I saw a garden that I thought was in the plaza next to my house, and then I got off the bus and realized I was crazy and the door had already closed. SO, I wandered around the centro asking for directions to Plaza San Juan. Haha, I had never come from that way before, and right when I thought I was definitely lost for sure, I turn to the right and my apartment door is there! Perfecto! Mental note for tomorrow: DON'T get off because you see a garden...because that was a long walk on a hot day!!

After lunch (in which I ate rabbit and didn't even know until I was done),  a few of us met up at Plaza Mayor (like usual, because we don't siesta since we're those "weird American kids who hang out around town at odd hours...the afternoon!". When we got there, some people had set up a few stages and there were people dancing according to the people on stage. It was almost like Jazzercise, but apparently, these were gypsies doing some pre-espectáculo warm-ups for later tonight (I guess there is a dance party tonight from 1:30-12, but we are all wayyy too tired at that hour for such nonsense). Anyway, it was still funny to watch the random people with no rhythm dancing next to gypsies in the middle of the plaza.


We wandered around for a few hours running some errands, which takes WAY longer than usual when you have no idea where you're going. We probably walked about 20 miles today. Now that I think of it, most of us probably walk about that much everyday. Haha although getting lost was interesting, I'm glad we did because I learned so many new ways to go to my house and all the other plazas we always use for reference. Here's another Irish pub that we stopped at after being lost/wandering for 2.5 hours and finishing the shopping. Cold bar...so nice...

 The bartender put this clover in my friend's drink. Not sure if you can tell, but it was cool in person!

 After we left the bar, we walked by the Universidad de Valladolid Colegio de Enfermería (School of Nursing!) Maybe if I don't get into Cal State this year, I can go here ;)

And then I bought this watch for €4.00! Deal! It's nothing special, but we never know what time it is because none of us have of phones, so it was time to invest in some watches...


Carmelas? 

Everyone at our favorite bar...so far :) 

Friends bar!!! 


 Once again, the fountain that tells time...


We really do suck at taking pictures. We all try to remember to take some with people we actually know in them, but when that happens, they are always horrible, haha.


At the end of the day, we decided to walk through Campo Grande before heading home. It's huge beautiful park covered with trees and swarmed with birds...specifically peacocks! 

Just a side note: I thought I ate peacock the other night for dinner because I didn't understand the difference between paubo (turkey) y paubo real (peacock or "royal turkey") I thought paubo and paubo real were the same thing and when they told me, I was a little disturbed because such a beautiful tastes so good. Don't worry, it WAS just turkey...

Evan chasing a peacock through the garden? 




Although this bench looks pretty cool covered in vines, I highly recommend to NOT sit in it! We discovered (when we saw a railing made the same way falling apart). It turns out it is just made of chicken wire covered in cement...that is not packed well. Nice try Campo Grande bench builders.


 Stairs up to a lookout over Campo Grande


Somehow, he always slips into my pictures when I'm trying to take one 

It's hard to see, but there is a water fall in front of those rocks there. A cool little nook!

Today I am going to try to go to bed early...er. Tomorrow we are going to go to the Valladolid soccer game which starts at 10pm. We bought €6 scarfs because I guess it's custom to bring and wave around, and then later you can use them to decorate your wall. I'm excited for my first Valladolid social activity!

1 comment:

What do you think? :)