Monday, May 21, 2012

Orientación y gira del centro del día 2

This morning, we met up at a branch of the university to meet with my professor, do an orientation with the professors here, and then went on a tour of the centro. During the orientation, each professor went over a BUNCH of places to know and that are well known, haha none of us think we can absorb it all that quickly. After a couple hours of that, Ibán, the Spanish culture professor at the university, took us on a tour around the centro to show us some main places to go like plazas, bars, tapas bars (tapas are like snacks/appetizers they eat with coffee or beer here) and the shopping centers. We also walked by several historical buildings, churches, museums, and shops.


On my way to walking to class, we passed by this museum. It's a modern recreation of the house of Cristobál Colón (Christopher Columbs) that they turned into a museum.


Colegio Mayor...the school that students go to before starting at Universidad de Valladolid



An old sanctuary that now has exhibits of African and Contemporary art displayed inside


The courtyard inside 


University store of Valladolid where you can buy school supplies and clothes from the University 



The original building of Universidad de Valladolid that was founded in 1241. Now it has expanded throughout basically the whole city and has more than 30,000 students 


A statue of Miguel Cervantes, the author of Don Quixote, who was born in Valladolid. We learn about that story pretty much every semester in one of my Spanish classes


La Gran Catedral. They use this cathedral as a reference in the city because it is the tallest building in the area




A famous very narrow, but very tall bar with a very tiny door, haha




This is Plaza Mayor which is the spot in the very middle of the city where everyone meets up to go to the bars, drink coffee and beer and eat tapas. We use it to meet up with our group a lot.


This is the building ("city hall") where the mayor works in Plaza Mayor

Statue of Christopher Columbus, they say he died in the center Plaza Mayor...

A very tiny sign for a very big plaza 


This is a well known bar on Calle Santiago called La Sepia ("the squid" I think). Iván said that Valladolid is has the second highest population of bars in one city, next to Las Vegas. He said that those two cities are the cities of alcoholics, haha.


Calle Santiago is a really popular street connecting to Plaza Mayor where there are a lot of historic shops, bars, and other buildings

Today was avery busy day roaming around the entire city. I'm trying to catch on as fast as I can so I know where I am going! Luckily, my host mom is walking me around everywhere when we meet at school and in the plazas and showing me reference points to remember where I am and where I am going. I have to meet back up with everyone at 6pm (in 2.5 hours) to go around and do some things with my professor. I think we're going to learn how to use the banks and post offices and then walk to the building at the University where we will have classes every morning starting tomorrow. Hopefully I can find my way there again! :)

Right now is lunch time, which they eat a little bit later than we do at home. And it is also much bigger. We ate very little in the morning, she made me some caffeine free coffee, and they also eat biscuits, cookies, and sweet muffins, which I'm definitely not used to that early in the morning! They ate the Girl Scout cookies I brought them for breakfast.

For lunch, they serve in 2 plates, or 2 courses I guess. First Felisa made rice and they mix it with tomato sauce (kind of like spaghetti) and then the second plato was DELICIOUS chicken and some bitter lettuce-like salad. Everything we've had for desert so far has been fruit, which tastes way better here! Last night we had kiwi after dinner and today she had strawberries..much sweeter and tastier than at home!

After lunch the dad takes a nap before he goes back to work and the girls go back to school. And for now, I'm scared to take a siesta because I want to sleep tonight! Haha, we'll see what happens...

9 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures! what a beautiful place. You're going to learn SO much! Thanks for keeping us updated. Ps; is your host family mormon? I've never heard of anyone drinking caffeine free coffee besides mormons, especially since coffee is so huge in spain haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie, take picture of the food you eat & let me know if that family is mormon. You;ll catch them praying or reading the scriptures I'm sure hahaha. Also, we don't leave until June 14th. But we are moving out of our apt on June 1st, and I am packing up our apt & also putting some stuff away in our luggage. So yeah, we still have three weeks but I am trying to put as much away as I can. :) We will be gone until August 10th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pictures you posted!! You are doing a great job keeping us in the loop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha no they're not Mormon, the girls go to a Catholic school. I think the mom is more into health because she made normal coffee but gave me caffeine free. And then she has sugar replacements too. It's so hard to take good pictures so far! I can't stop and take a moment so most of them are while walking :/ Where are you going to stay until June 14th?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat all my meals at home, and I didn't wanna frighten them with a camera the first day. Haha, but we're eaten some interesting but very good things. She's a good cook!! My first night we had tortillas españolas which is like eggs and potatoes in a cake shape? With chorizo (NOT like Mexico) and salad with very strong but really good balsamic vinegarette. Then today we had DELICIOUS chicken with salsa (which to them is just the juices of the chicken...they don't like spicy!) and rice with tomato sauce. Always fresh fruit for desert! Haha I want to take a picture but I don't want to be to abrupt! I have a month of opportunities :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha i wonder why she gave you caffeine coffee but made normal coffee for her. did you tell her you wanted caffeine free? haha. Let me know if you have gazpacho. I saw a recipe for it the other day and apparently it comes from spain :) I'm glad you are liking the food. I hope you get a chance to take one of these fun trips to barcelona or something! We are staying with my aunt for just 2 weeks. I know its not the IDEAL situation but it will save us around $400 & it was really nice of them to let us stay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha no, I mean she gave me caffeine free because she likes it because she's all into salud and such. We learned about gazpacho in culture class today while discussing Spanish stereotypes! I'm sure I'll have it, my host mom likes to show me the custom Spanish things :) $400 saved in 2 weeks? Sounds like a deal to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. let me know if you like it and I will try to make it myself! its a cold vegetable soup, and the thought of putting soup in the fridge to have later is kinda weird to me. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha oh whaaat? It's cold? Didn't catch that!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? :)